Pages

Monday, 2 April 2012

Oral sex linked to throat cancer.... pull the other one!

Or so I thought. My husband announced this depressing headline the other evening - to which I stopped folding the laundry, raised my eyebrows and told him he better come up with a better excuse than that! But no, he was most serious...and after several minutes discussion I realised he wasn't pulling my leg, it really had been in the news.


I'm all for cutting back on red and processed meats, units of alcohol a week, and eating my super foods, fruits and veggies. But come on, a life without le sexe oral, is it possible? Sadly I realise for some ladies it is and my heart goes out to them.

So, not happy with my husbands second hand medical news, I decided to consult trusty Google and find out a little more....

Good news. Oral sex does not cause cancer, BUT, the human papillomavirus (HPV) does and can be transmitted via oral sex. Saying that you or your partner(s) do have to be carrying the HPV virus, before you can give it to each other.

The BBC says, "Oral cancer cases are increasing, with 6,200 this year, figures from Cancer Research UK show, with two-thirds of cases in men. This compares with 4,400 cases a decade ago. Most cases are linked to smoking, but alcohol misuse and the human papillomavirus (HPV) infection through oral sex have been linked to the rise."

With any cancer the best way to protect yourself is to recognise the early warning signs and don't be afraid to visit the doctor. Experts say the warning signs of oral cancers include mouth ulcers and red or white patches in the mouth that do not heal. I repeat DO NOT PUT OFF A VISIT TO THE DOCTOR IF YOU SUSPECT SOMETHING.

HPV is the virus that  girls in the UK are now vaccinated against, as high-risk strains of the virus are linked to cervical cancer. According to the BBC up to eight out of 10 people in the UK are infected with HPV at some point in their lives, though most cases are harmless.If you want to read up on HPV click here to visit Cancer Research.

So...
  1. get informed
  2. if needs be get tested
  3. don't put off a trip to the doctors if you suspect something, EVER, and
  4. live happy, contented and fulfilled (sex) lives!
Stumble This Fav This With Technorati Add To Del.icio.us Digg This Add To Reddit Add To Facebook Add To Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell friends about our blog....